Here are 5 tips to help you get through a roadblock:
Follow instructions Be attentive and follow instructions given by the officer when approaching a roadblock or being pulled over. Stay calm and interact with the officers on duty with respect; present all the necessary documentation when requested.
Verify the roadblock As a road user, you also bear the responsibility of ensuring your own safety at a roadblock. You have the right to ask for identification and a written authorisation certificate signed by the National or Provincial Police Commissioner from police officers to verify the operation.
Make sure your vehicle is roadworthy Being on the road is safer when using a certified roadworthy car; get your car checked before your long festive season drives. If you are stopped with a non-roadworthy car at a roadblock, you will not be allowed to continue with your trip as you are considered a road risk.
Know what you can and can’t get arrested for Arrests can be made at a roadblock, however, you can avoid finding yourself inside the back of the police van by being compliant and following the road rules. Should you find yourself in an arrest predicament for any of the following, you need to be informed of your rights as a South African citizen:
- Refusing to take a breathalyser test;
- Found to have high amounts of alcohol in your blood;
- Overdue unpaid fines(with a warrant issued against you);
- Physically or verbally assaulting an officer.
Should you find yourself in a situation where your rights are being violated, take down as much evidence as you can. For instance, the officer’s badge number or the vehicle number that is on the side of their patrol car. In South Africa you have the right to film (or record) the officers that you believe are acting unlawfully – this is a good way to gather evidence.
To ensure that you’re never in trouble at those dreaded road blocks, Fines Assist will do just that. Assistance will include alerting you to any new traffic fines and providing an easy and pain free way to settle these. The bonus? A guaranteed reduced rate of an unbeatable 50%* on your fine!
*When paid within 32 days
Fines Protect gives you:
- Relief– Besides the absence of queues and convenience of skipping a trip to Traffic Department, the payment facility is secure and provides you with proof of payment and gives you the peace of mind that your name is clear.
- Recovery– No-one enjoys paying fines, so 100% of all discounts or reductions on fines, will be passed back to you.
- Representation– Not sure if your fine is legitimate? Our expert team will provide full legal and administrative support and representation for all matters related to traffic fines.