Statistics released by the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) revealed the top five offences during the festive season, based on written traffic fines:
- Speed: 46,029 drivers fined
- Driving without licenses: 15,538 drivers fined
- Unlicensed vehicles: 14,174 drivers fined
- Driving without fastening seatbelts: 13,554 drivers fined
- Overloading: 5,388 drivers fined
In addition, three taxi drivers were arrested for attempting to bribe traffic officers. Two of the arrests took place in Limpopo and one was in the Eastern Cape.
More than 924,000 vehicles were stopped and checked at various roadblocks throughout the country, since the beginning of the festive season. “Most of the vehicles were stopped in Limpopo, Gauteng, Mpumalanga and the Western Cape. More than 105,000 drivers were tested for alcohol and 247 drivers were arrested for having alcohol blood content above the legal limit,” the RTMC said. “The highest number of arrested drunk drivers were in Gauteng, followed by Limpopo, Mpumalanga and the Western Cape,” the RTMC said.
Matrix cares about you and the safety of your loved ones and if you are one of the unlucky ones that have not yet paid that dreaded fine, rest assured that Matrix has you covered. With Matrix Protect Fines Assist, alerts you to any new traffic fines, providing an easy and pain-free way to settle these. The bonus? A guaranteed reduced rate of an unbeatable 50% on your fine, if paid within 32 days.
Matrix Protect Fines Assist gives you:
- Relief – Besides the absence of queues and convenience of skipping a trip to Traffic Department, the payment facility is secure and provides you with proof of payment and gives you the peace of mind that your name is clear.
- Recovery – No-one enjoys paying fines, so 100% of all discounts or reductions on fines, will be passed back to you.
- Representation – Not sure if your fine is legitimate? Our expert team will provide full legal and administrative support and representation for all matters related to traffic fines.
Source: The Times